The Sky never was the Limit...with God

Ramblings and reflections of one growing in stature and wisdom and in his walk with God :)

5:16 AM

His Mercies

Etched by Isaac

"Through the LORD's mercies we are not consumed,
Because His compassions fail not.
They are new every morning;
Great is Your faithfulness."
-Lamentations 3:22-23 (NKJV)-
The past month has definitely been a season of spiritual growth for me - I have learnt every day to rely on God more and more, and I am still amazed at just how much I have not trusted God for before. I have been missing out, for sure. But God is good, always, and His mercies endure forever! Learning to seek first the kingdom of God has been a great journey, and is still ongoing of course, but it's a new day each day, and upon reflection, I am always in awe at just how much God has done for me, and in my life, and through my life (Matthew 6:33).

Slowly but surely, I am bearing more of the fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23). It is tough, like refinement in the fire (Isaiah 48:10), but it will result in a better, more equipped me, for the works of the LORD. Realising that the bigger picture is really a lot bigger than just what happens from day to day has made my problems grow miniscule in comparison. Believing God for miracles every day has become part of my life, and my God does not disappoint. There have been just so many times that I cannot conclude that coincidence was the answer - it really had to be God moving so powerfully.

I have managed, by God's grace, to break one of the chains (Psalms 107:14) which has bound me for a long time in my life - the habit of sleeping and waking up late. I have been rising as early as 5:30 in the morning, to read the Bible, and pray, and this has made a very positive impact on how my day goes. Before the daily stuff has started, I've already committed the day to the LORD and had my spiritual food (2 Timothy 3:16-17). Discovering desiringgod.org has also played an integral part in my daily devotion and reading (thank you David), and Proverbs are my daily go-to as well, since after completing Metro's 21-day fasting and praying programme. Personally, the new sleeping habits are a big thing in my life. Life-changing indeed!

Also, in the past month, God has become more and more real to me. I have been sharing the Gospel like never before. I've talked about Christianity, the Bible, Jesus, God, religion, and miracles to (1) my flatmates,  (2) my classmates, (3) my badminton friends, (4) my new hairdresser, (5) some local shopkeepers, and (6) my other friends. Every time I feel nervous, I am reminded that if God is for me, who can be against me (Romans 8:31)? I really have nothing to lose. The harvest is plentiful, and is ripe for the picking, but the workers are few (Matthew 9:37). "God, send me," I said. And send me He did (Isaiah 6:8). And it has been such a blessing to be able to share the Good News with others both verbally, and through my life. People need Jesus. They need to have their eyes opened to see that what they've been seeking their whole life is communion with an Almighty God, Creator of the heavens and the earth (John 12:40).

Of course not all encounters with people go smoothly, when the Gospel is involved - the Gospel is offensive to non-believers, and their reactions are to be expected (1 Corinthians 1:18). However, most of the time, people are quite open to listening, and they ask questions too! I always pray before I do anything. Learning to let the Holy Spirit guide me and put words in my mouth is something else I've been doing recently. Much wisdom is required, and the ultimate fountain of wisdom is God Himself. I am nothing but a sinner and a fool, unworthy of nothing but hell, but saved by grace so undeserved, from God (Romans 6:23).

Most of the time, things I do in life make no logical sense to the non-believers, because they won't understand the reasoning behind what I do. But I am guided by God, and I believe His ways are higher than my ways (Isaiah 55:8-9), so it's okay to not understand everything He puts in my life. Trusting God is like taking a step into the ocean - each subsequent step sees me losing my control over my position, and trusting the waves to hold me up more and more.

In my medical student life, I have never been this productive before. This is my confession - I have never done as much for my medical student life, as I have in the past one month, and that's concurrent with the extra Bible study and prayer I've been doing. It's just like my new hope in God has given me the strength and determination to strive for more excellence than before, and for excellent stewardship of the 24 hours I've been trusted with every day. He renews my strength, and makes me rise, as on eagle's wings (Isaiah 40:31). Right now I've moved into Ophthalmology from ENT, from Dermatology. Today was a great day - first day on Ophthalmology and the consultant says that I'm doing well when I asked him what he expects from a fourth-year medical student, and even asked if I already had an IRP.

Also, a patient's mother made my day when she was just so thankful for listening to her; she said,

"It really makes a difference when you're talking to someone who is really interested in what you have to say, and is really nice, and also knows what you're talking about. You'll make a great doctor, keep it up!".

That was a moment of reflection for me - this are the little things from which we derive job satisfaction as doctors - the opportunity to be just so directly involved in helping people be better or cope better. I also realised at that moment that I knew a lot more about medicine than I thought I did, and that most of what I knew was from internal medicine, which confirms my suspicions that I'm going to head down that path in the future.

I've also managed to do plenty of cooking! Made thosai masala from scratch, which has been applauded especially heartily by my Indian friends. I will have to have a whole post about my cooking, as I don't have the time to do that now (just going to put one picture of the completed thosai here hehe). I also made Thai green curry, fried bittergourd slices mamak-style, salmon nigirisushi, Japanese curry, and turkey burgers, all from scratch (except for green curry paste and Japanese curry block both used as the bases of the respective curries). I guess my desire to eat the food has buoyed my motivation to actually rise to the occasion to put in the effort to cook it, which is a good thing. =D

-- Homemade thosai masala! Such a sense of accomplishment when I bit into it! --
In the past month I have also learnt that because God's ways are higher than the ways of man, He can turn evil into good (Genesis 50:20). It's not that I didn't know it before, but this is the first time I've really seen Him working so powerfully through what seems to be unfortunate circumstances, and I am really thankful for the chance to be part of this greater good that's He's orchestrating. =)

In other news, CentreChurch Brighton has moved over to the 10:30am service time programme, and I find that I like church in the morning more than in the evening. Plus it really looks different in the morning, in the hall next to St. Mary's Church. Morning sunlight brightens up the atmosphere of the room indeed. This church may be small, but God has big plans for it!

-- Fresh flowers for a fresh start in the morning! --

I am also learning about the importance of Godly company in the form of friends and family, be it in blood, or in Christ. Encouraging each other to be faithful is like iron sharpening iron (Proverbs 27:17). Also, that I can find rest in God (Psalms 62:5).

-- My room, looking nice and tidy. Straightening the covers has made it tidier! --
Every day I count my blessings, and thank God for them. I spend more time in prayer than before, even doing it systematically now (got some form of structure and planning). I have learnt to not worry, but to trust God, especially for material things. I used to worry a lot more, but time and time again, God has shown me that He provides, and I will not be in want. Learning to be generous is also something I've been doing, as well as being good to those who aren't good to me. This is something which every Christian definitely struggles with, simply because the human tendency tends to lean more towards "an eye for an eye" but the Bible turns it upside down and says we are to love our enemies and pray for those who persecute us (Matthew 5:38-48). But by God's grace, I am able to do things that I would never dream of, in my weaknesses. Not I, but Christ who lives in me! (2 Corinthians 12:9)

-- One of the last winter sunsets for the year. Much beauty in all of creation. =) --
I realise that I write all this that the Name of the Lord be blessed.
So much to thank God for.
So much He has done.
So much I don't deserve.

But God. But GOD. But God is gracious, and loving, and merciful, and just.
I shall end this post with a link to a classic song which has recently become my happy earworm.

0 opinions: